Local Government & Elected Officials
North Shore Neighborhood Board #27
The North Shore Neighborhood Board is part of Oahu’s island-wide neighborhood board network that expands community participation in government. The Neighborhood Board plays an important advisory role to the City & County of Honolulu.
Residents within each North Shore sub-district vote for a set number of board members based on their sub-district’s population; 15 total members are elected.
North Shore Neighborhood Board Sub-Districts:
- Mokuleia (elects 2 board members)
- Waialua (4)
- Haleiwa (4)
- Kawailoa (1)
- Pupukea/Sunset Beach (4)
City & County of Honolulu
Current City & County elected officials representing the North Shore are:
State of Hawaii
State departments and agencies serve the entire islands, which are divided into State legislative districts. The North Shore falls within State Senate District 23 and State House Districts 45 (Mokuleia, Waialua, Schofield, Mililani) and 47 (Waialua, Haleiwa, Pupukea/Sunset Beach to Kaaawa).
Our current elected State officials are:
- Governor David Ige
- Lieutenant Governor Shan Tsutsui
- State Senator Gil Riviere (Senate District 23)
- State Representative Lauren Matsumoto (House District 45)
- State Representative Sean Quinlan (House District 47)
In the House of Representatives, Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard represents the 2nd Congressional District, which includes the North Shore (rural Oahu) and all other islands.
The North Shore’s public libraries are:
Waialua Public Library
67-068 Kealohanui St.
Waialua, HI 96791
Phone: (808) 637-8286
Hours: Tuesday – Thursday 9:00am – 6:00pm, Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm, Saturday 9:00am – 2:00pm (closed Sunday and Monday)
Kahuku Public Library
56-490 Kamehameha Hwy.
Kahuku, HI 96731
Phone: (808) 293-8935
Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:00am – 5:00pm, Tuesday 12:00pm – 8:00pm, Friday 9:00am – 3:00pm (closed Saturday and Sunday)
Public SchoolDistrictGradesReportHaleiwa ElementaryCentralK – 62014 – 2015Waialua ElementaryCentralK – 62014 – 2015Sunset Beach ElementaryWindwardK – 62014 – 2015Waialua High & Intermediate *Central7 – 122014 – 2015Kahuku High & Intermediate *Windward7 – 122014 – 2015
* Pupukea Road is the dividing line for determining a student’s high school. Residents living on the Haleiwa side of Pupukea Road attend Waialua High & Intermediate; those on the Kahuku side attend Kahuku High & Intermediate. A geographic exception must be approved to attend school outside a student’s geographic area.
St. Michael’s School Preschool & K-8
67-340 Haona St.
Waialua HI, 96791
Phone: (808) 637-7772
Asia Pacific International School: Middle and High
54-230 Kamehameha Hwy
Hauula, HI 96717
Phone: (808) 670-1909
Preschools and early learning programs on the North Shore include:
- First Baptist Preschool of Haleiwa
- HCAP Head Start (Waialua)
- Kamehameha Schools Preschool (Haleiwa)
- Rainbow Schools (Sunset Beach)
- St. Michael’s School Preschool & K-8 (Waialua)
- Tutu & Me Traveling Preschool (Waialua)
This list does not constitute endorsement or recommendation by the North Shore Chamber of Commerce. We encourage you to research and thoroughly vet preschools and early learning programs to find the best fit for your needs.